Originals WTF-USA? La Culture Geekery The Boro Blog

Bourne Legacy Review

Food, Travel, Arts, and Pop-Culture

Postby Liv » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:12 am

the-bourne-legacy-trailer-new-full-trailer-tony-gilroy-jeremy-renner-ed-norton-rachel-weisz-new.jpg

So I went to see The Bourne Legacy tonight. Love the franchise: foreign places, lots of action. Though the departure of Matt Damon had saddened me, I felt his replacement, Jeremy Renner was a good replacement. That said, the movie was disappointing. Don't get me wrong, it was a great movie, what there was of it- there just was no ending. It just cut off in the middle of the action and went to credits and stopped. What? Who the effing, eff, eff, wrote this????

Seriously, the actors were right, the story was right... it just didn't end! Or should I say it did, way too soon. I have absolutely no idea what the movie was about, and it did very little to bring closure to the Bourne triliogy. In fact it ripped it open again.

Not only that, most people know I'm a huge American Airlines fan, and was expecting a huge sequence of shots on-board the aircrafts, as was played up by AA in the weeks leading up to the movie. I don't think there was much more then a few scenes in the whole movie. I really had hoped for "Bourne on a Aircraft", but got Manila. Manila is cool, don't get me wrong, but don't end it there on a freaking boat. WTF?

Let's not forget the director of this movie, prior to taking the handsome paycheck for directing the sequel said that the fourth movie should be called the "Bourne Redundancy". Did he purposely choose to sabotage the work? The ending should have involved Aaron Cross (Renner) and and Marta (Rachel Weisz) back on the aircraft for a final sequence with Larx. Should have, but it never happened.

Someone was stoned when they made this movie.
Liv
Lost in Hell and Digging My Way Out.

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:21 am

You didn't get to the bit that has been uppermost in my mind: how much "shaky-cam" footage was there? That was the biggest issue I had with the original set of movies. Half the time, you couldn't SEE any action because the camera was apparently mounted on the shoulder of a drunk chimp, so that the audience couldn't get more than a few frames out of any given minute of the movie to recognize an actor during a fight sequence or a chase scene. That's no way to live, and I therefore refused to pay for a ticket to LISTEN to their fight choreography.

Was this one at least a little better in this regard?The other problem that you mentioned, about there being no story resolution... I expect that would irritate me as well. Actually, going back to the first movie, when I tried reading the book ("Bourne Identity") and realizing that the movie script bore NO resemblance to it, I felt that the writing for the entire series was highly suspect. Who knows what sort of lunacy crept into this adaptation?
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby Liv » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:26 pm

No, it was still drunk chimp camera taken.

The visual appeal of these movies, and the locations they're shot in has always been their high point.

I just think they raped their fans on this one.
Liv
Lost in Hell and Digging My Way Out.

Return to La Culture