What if we find Atlantis?

by
Published on July 26th, 2006, 8:23 am
Rift: X

I'm a geek. I know that. Not in the sense of pocket protectors, and snorting while you laugh, but I do partially grasp Stephen Hawkings, and some of his basic theories, and have come to my own conclusions, despite Mamma's rant that thunder is merely the angels bowling. With this being said, lets imagine for a moment we really do find Atlantis. Not an Atlantis of Archaic ruins, and primitive culture compared to us today, but that of the mythological kind; an Atlantis that would technologically exceed that of ours today.

What would that do to us mentally. To find out, us, the supposedly most technological incarnation of living things on this earth, are merely a primitive culture compared to people living centuries ago.

Would we live in fear, wondering if whatever catastrophe they had made, might lead to our downfall?

What if it's not Atlantis we find, but just random old technology far superior to ours today? Would that rewrite our thinking of the Bible, knowing that technologically, miracles could be explained? Would we find ourselves questioning our trust in Scientific theory? Would we be worried that we might be getting stupider then smarter?

Maybe Ignorance is bliss?
Last edited by Liv on July 26th, 2006, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
July 26th, 2006, 8:23 am

It had better damn well include a Stargate.

Seriously though..think about when Atlantis was written about, advance technology to them would most likely be simple to us at best.

That said, I think there is much more to the human story than we know currently. Look at the archeological finds in the deep ocean next to cuba

Reuters: The explorers said they believed the mysterious structures, discovered at the astounding depth of around 2,100 feet and laid out like an urban area, could have been built at least 6,000 years ago. That would be about 1,500 years earlier than the great Giza pyramids of Egypt

and the waters off the coast of Japan:

http://tinyurl.com/m266l

I think we still have a lot to learn about humanity and our history.
John Cleese: The audience is too uninformed. I blame the Americans. Nation of obese, violent, pig-ignorant, bible-thumping morons contaminating world culture. That’s why I spend most of my time here in France.. Beautiful isn’t it? Just look at those olive trees.

Interviewer: This is Santa Barbara.
July 26th, 2006, 8:51 am
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Yep... that flood 4200 years ago really buried a lot of civilizations.

:)
July 26th, 2006, 9:02 am
Jovick

Jovick!!! You are too much!
July 26th, 2006, 9:15 am
Liv

Follow Me
Well since it was aliens that helped us build the pyramids in exchange for ritual human sacrifice for their hunters, anything is possible.
July 26th, 2006, 9:35 am
Matt

Jovick wrote:Yep... that flood 4200 years ago really buried a lot of civilizations.

:)

I don't care where you're from, that was funny.
John Cleese: The audience is too uninformed. I blame the Americans. Nation of obese, violent, pig-ignorant, bible-thumping morons contaminating world culture. That’s why I spend most of my time here in France.. Beautiful isn’t it? Just look at those olive trees.

Interviewer: This is Santa Barbara.
July 26th, 2006, 9:41 am
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

OK here's my suggestion, if you own a credit card with more then three dollars and have an open mind, order this while some still exist. If you have a child, then even better. Because it is a child's book. A completely complicated- mind blowing, child's book... but a child's book none-the-less.

The book is called "Atlantis: The missing continent." It's probably as old as Atlantis itself, and I'd be surprised if you can easily get ahold of a copy of this at your local library. I'm not sure if it's even made anymore.

Written by David McMullen, he tells a story of Atlantis, the fabled one we all know, and then talks about it in realistic terms. That's the part that will probably be way over the top of your 5 year old's head... but yours will be in a mythological delight, as this book compels you to understand how religious stories have been retold over and over. How Greeks & Romans renamed Gods, revising the future of their historical beliefs. He makes the suggestion that Atlantis and Noah's Ark might be the same story.

Those of you who know me, are well aware of my belief in such a similar mythology. That even Christianity is merely a subset, a revised edition of Egyptian gods, and maybe even further back. I'm also very much interested in Atlantis, and it's connection in all this. The idea that perhaps land-masses, huge ones at that, can disappear overnight; contradicts modern beliefs that global warming, and tectonic plate movement is a gradual process. What if tomorrow America did sink below the ocean? Is it possible we're missing something?

This book is a great primer to Atlantis. For those who don't know, the story of Atlantis is one of the oldest stories known to man. We believe it's in excess of 8,000 years old but quite frankly we only have to guess, because it wasn't written down till Plato got ahold of it and made it into an Greek Summer Blockbuster back in the year 360BC. Other hot writings that year were: "Live Slave- Die Hard" & "Transformers: Eunuch's in disguise"

You see Atlantis is such an important myth to understand because after Atlantis sank, it's residents and descendants fanned out into Europe and built a remarkable world using Atlantean technology. The Sphinx's and Pyramids, and not just Egyptian, but Mayan temples, and structures throughout the world were because of the remarkable, technological advancements of the Atlanteans. We still don't understand how such feats were capable. Perhaps Atlanteans had far greater technology then even we do today.

Maybe the worship of the sun God by Egyptians, wasn't a God at all? Maybe the Atlantean's use of modern solar, free energy was in use long before Jesus walked the earth? Maybe the Egyptians got confused? Maybe, we're to proud as a race to believe that we (the people of 2007) aren't the smartest incarnation of our species? Maybe, something happened, some sort of world event occurred that brought about great losses of knowledge? Maybe it's just a giant version of the movie Ground-hog's day, but we don't realize we're re-living our mistakes?

This is what this book opens up to the reader, and rather then spoil the fun of this little gem, I suggest you read it... no really. I don't recommend alot of books... but this one is good. I'm sure some of you, will become spitting mad while reading it, but in the end it does teach a lesson.

David closes with this:

Perhaps Atlantis is only a dream- a dream of living in peace and plenty on this planet. If so, it is a dream worth holding onto. It tells us we must lean to overcome our jealousies and greed. That is a problem each of us must help to solve if our world is to survive... And hold on tight to your own dreams. They too could come true. Maybe you'll even find your own Atlantis.

July 8th, 2007, 10:08 am
Liv

Follow Me
Liv wrote:The idea that perhaps land-masses, huge ones at that, can disappear overnight; contradicts modern beliefs that global warming, and tectonic plate movement is a gradual process. What if tomorrow America did sink below the ocean? Is it possible we're missing something?
For America to 'sink below the ocean' would require huge quantities of rock to simply disappear. That doesn't happen. The most likely disaster facing America would be the eruption of Yellowstone megavolcano.

Atlantis was described as an Island city-state, calling it a continent is presumptuous.
Plato wrote:'At the centre of the island, near the sea, was a plain, said to be the most beautiful and fertile of all plains, and near the middle of this plain about fifty stades inland a hill of no great size... There were two rings of land and three of sea, like cartwheels, with the island at their centre and equidistant from each other... in the centre was a shrine sacred to Poseidon and Cleito, surrounded by a golden wall through which entry was forbidden...

The city was destroyed suddenly and without warning leaving behind piles of mud (if Plato is to be believed)
Plato wrote:The consequence is, that in comparison of what then was, there are remaining only the bones of the wasted body, as they may be called, as in the case of small islands, all the richer and softer parts of the soil having fallen away, and the mere skeleton of the land being left. But in the primitive state of the country, its mountains were high hills covered with soil, and the plains, as they are termed by us, of Phelleus were full of rich earth, and there was abundance of wood in the mountains. Of this last the traces still remain, for although some of the mountains now only afford sustenance to bees, not so very long ago there were still to be seen roofs of timber cut from trees growing there, which were of a size sufficient to cover the largest houses; and there were many other high trees, cultivated by man and bearing abundance of food for cattle. Moreover, the land reaped the benefit of the annual rainfall, not as now losing the water which flows off the bare earth into the sea, but, having an abundant supply in all places, and receiving it into herself and treasuring it up in the close clay soil, it let off into the hollows the streams which it absorbed from the heights, providing everywhere abundant fountains and rivers, of which there may still be observed sacred memorials in places where fountains once existed; and this proves the truth of what I am saying.

Yet some people survived to tell the tale. So we have an island with a city on the shoreline struck by water that demolishes buildings leaving behind mounds of mud while some people escaped by fleeing to higher ground - sounds familiar? ImageSo a city on a small island was destroyed by a tsunami.

But this shouldn't prevent us from enjoying the myth and the plays.
You see Atlantis is such an important myth to understand because after Atlantis sank, it's residents and descendants fanned out into Europe and built a remarkable world using Atlantean technology. The Sphinx's and Pyramids, and not just Egyptian, but Mayan temples, and structures throughout the world were because of the remarkable, technological advancements of the Atlanteans. We still don't understand how such feats were capable. Perhaps Atlanteans had far greater technology then even we do today.
What technology? (How many Sphinx's are there?) the Egyptian pyramids and the Mayan pyramids are separated by thousands of years and required no special technology to construct - just an enormous expenditure of resources.
Maybe the worship of the sun God by Egyptians, wasn't a God at all? Maybe the Atlantean's use of modern solar, free energy was in use long before Jesus walked the earth? Maybe the Egyptians got confused? Maybe, we're to proud as a race to believe that we (the people of 2007) aren't the smartest incarnation of our species? Maybe, something happened, some sort of world event occurred that brought about great losses of knowledge? Maybe it's just a giant version of the movie Ground-hog's day, but we don't realize we're re-living our mistakes?
Maybe - and maybe not. We can speculate all we like, the only written record describes non of this so even if Atlantis did exits as described, with no poetic license, it's just unsupported speculation. Speculating can be fun but you need evidence.
Obviously you do not know what a hyperbolic chamber actually is. That's ok. I'm used to you pretending to know what you are talking about BecauseHeLives, 2009 August 16
July 9th, 2007, 11:09 am
A Person

Interesting video here.... Very interesting take on the genesis of religions throughout the world.

[youtubevideo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k29S1drqGmk[/youtubevideo]
William Killick: You have a raindrop running down your cheek, just like a tear.
June 6th, 2009, 7:21 am
Liv

Follow Me

Return to X