The Truth Behind the Haunting on Payne Road

by
Published on April 18th, 2009, 7:17 pm
Rift: X

hay ash the names lee lee i seen the same thing but it was inside of a house there and it was an old aboned house where no one lives and hasn't lived since edward payne me and my mom seen a light and i could not believe my eyes i believe spirits.
ashleyc04052 wrote:Hi Crystal,
my cousin and his wife went to payne road a few weeks ago, when coming up to the old grave yard they saw a man with a black hooded robe on just standing in the middle of the grave yard they turned around then came back and he was still there but this time he was holding one lit candle? what do you think this means? e-mail me at [email protected]
April 18th, 2009, 7:17 pm

I know you ghost chasers won't listen to me, because you didn't when I wrote this on the 3rd page of the thread. The road currently named Payne Road is not the original. You're imagining your ghosts on the wrong street. Payne Road was renamed years ago to keep you away from the property of nice folks who don't want you mistaking their house for the Amityville house.
April 18th, 2009, 8:48 pm
Nfidel

Nfidel wrote:I know you ghost chasers won't listen to me, because you didn't when I wrote this on the 3rd page of the thread. The road currently named Payne Road is not the original. You're imagining your ghosts on the wrong street. Payne Road was renamed years ago to keep you away from the property of nice folks who don't want you mistaking their house for the Amityville house.

Now, now.... why are you taking that tone with the nice folks with active imaginations? :naughty:

Payne/Edwards Rd actually sounds like a trek for "after everything closes on First Friday." :shock:
:think: It could be interesting... though I don't expect to see/experience anything.
When it is not in our power to follow what is true, we ought to follow what is most probable. –Rene Descartes

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
April 19th, 2009, 7:41 am
Serendipitous
This is my world and I am the world leader...pretend.

dear readers
while talking to my grandma today who grew up in rural hall nc. 27045 she explained to me that once living on payne rd. she heard and unrecognizable sound. they wondered for a while what it was. finding out later that day that edward paynes dad blew his head off with a stick of dynamite. in total shock she said she moved on from. also adding that none of the stories about edward payne are true. she used to work for edward payne back in the 1950's when this incedent happened. she also added that it was another man who killed his family who lived up the street from edward payne.he was never crazy infact very sane. there was no stair case in edward paynes house. after the house had been burned down spirits did travel from house to house.and the spirit of the nonliving people are still in those houses.not allowing people to explore in those houses. she says if u go down pain road now you will see the oil lamp that is on everyday from the spirits.believe it or not i would say this story is very accurate because growing up in rural hall i think she would know.
Liv wrote:This morning on the radio they were talking about a ghost story on payne rd but it's not coming up on Yahoo Maps? Anyone know where it is? I want to go and investigate.
April 19th, 2009, 2:22 pm
leeleemontana

April 19th, 2009, 4:01 pm
Nfidel

Serendipitous wrote:
Now, now.... why are you taking that tone with the nice folks with active imaginations? :naughty:

I don't know why I do it. Next thing you know, these people will tell us God talks to them!

Payne/Edwards Rd actually sounds like a trek for "after everything closes on First Friday." :shock:
:think: It could be interesting... though I don't expect to see/experience anything.

We could do that, but there isn't much to see there at night. At least in the daytime one can see a couple abandoned houses which look a little spooky. I think the road lost its charm when it was paved and the "haunted" bridge was replaced. It's pretty country though. Where Payne and Edwards Roads now intersect is a three way intersection that used to be completely wooded. That was about the only thing about the road that creeped me out. When do you ever see an intersection in the middle of the forest?
April 19th, 2009, 4:35 pm
Nfidel

Nfidel wrote:When do you ever see an intersection in the middle of the forest?
Every day
forest.jpg

My house is just NE of this intersection
Obviously you do not know what a hyperbolic chamber actually is. That's ok. I'm used to you pretending to know what you are talking about BecauseHeLives, 2009 August 16
April 19th, 2009, 4:47 pm
A Person

I think since I now have the time, I should consider making a run up there and taking some photo evidence.... Anyone know the exact co-ordinates I'm looking for?
William Killick: You have a raindrop running down your cheek, just like a tear.
April 19th, 2009, 5:06 pm
Liv

Follow Me
Nfidel wrote:
Serendipitous wrote:

I don't know why I do it. Next thing you know, these people will tell us God talks to them!

What? She doesn't talk to you??? :shock: :mrgreen:

Nfidel wrote:
Serendipitous wrote:Payne/Edwards Rd actually sounds like a trek for "after everything closes on First Friday." :shock:

We could do that, but there isn't much to see there at night. At least in the daytime one can see a couple abandoned houses which look a little spooky. I think the road lost its charm when it was paved and the "haunted" bridge was replaced. It's pretty country though. Where Payne and Edwards Roads now intersect is a three way intersection that used to be completely wooded. That was about the only thing about the road that creeped me out. When do you ever see an intersection in the middle of the forest?

Oh, you're talking like you see with your eyes! :hand:
When it is not in our power to follow what is true, we ought to follow what is most probable. –Rene Descartes

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
April 19th, 2009, 5:55 pm
Serendipitous
This is my world and I am the world leader...pretend.

A Person wrote:
Nfidel wrote:When do you ever see an intersection in the middle of the forest?
Every day
forest.jpg

My house is just NE of this intersection

Ah, but you live in Canada. Here in North Carolina, if at least one corner at an intersection isn't occupied, someone will put up a church or chicken house. Further east I think they substitute hog farms for the chickens.
April 19th, 2009, 6:41 pm
Nfidel

I was looking through my old files and found a photo of an actual house on Payne (now named Edwards) Road. Maybe you'll see a ghost.
Attachments
DSC_0364.jpg
April 19th, 2009, 9:14 pm
Nfidel

Nfidel wrote:I was looking through my old files and found a photo of an actual house on Payne (now named Edwards) Road. Maybe you'll see a ghost.

Thats awesome....you must have sort of read my mind.. I was wondering if you had a pic of the overgrown intersection.. I love abandoned stuff!!
John Cleese: The audience is too uninformed. I blame the Americans. Nation of obese, violent, pig-ignorant, bible-thumping morons contaminating world culture. That’s why I spend most of my time here in France.. Beautiful isn’t it? Just look at those olive trees.

Interviewer: This is Santa Barbara.
April 19th, 2009, 11:05 pm
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

So is this the bridge?
April 26th, 2009, 12:35 pm
Liv

Follow Me
Liv wrote:So is this the bridge?

No, I don't think so. IIRC, the bridge had wooden side rails. Besides, the road in your pic is named Bolejack. AFAIK, Bolejack Road has always been Bolejack Road. Click to "Road" view, zoom out and you will see both Edwards and Payne Roads. What is now Edwards Road used to be Payne Road. The bridge and associated ghosts were in this area. As for the Edward's house, I don't even know if it existed. It seems the only people giving us info about the house believe in things that don't exist, so maybe the house didn't either.

Edited to add: I think Edwards (the old Payne) Road no longer has a bridge.
April 26th, 2009, 1:02 pm
Nfidel

Oh well, I was going to drive out there tomorrow... but it's not worth it if there's nothing there....
April 26th, 2009, 1:07 pm
Liv

Follow Me
Liv wrote:Oh well, I was going to drive out there tomorrow... but it's not worth it if there's nothing there....

Or...if you want something spooky cool in Forsyth County, why not visit the graveyard and crypts at Old Salem? I think it's only a few blocks from I-40 and it's free. I don't know the operating hours there, but they should be easy enough to find.
DSC_3859.jpg
DSC_3866.jpg
DSC_3879.jpg
DSC_3885.jpg
April 26th, 2009, 4:09 pm
Nfidel

You can't actually go in the crypts can you?

I'm now leaning toward heading to Charlotte... I don't know... or staying home and working on the book.... North Carolina is boring me at the moment... (oddly enough.)
April 26th, 2009, 4:25 pm
Liv

Follow Me
Liv wrote:You can't actually go in the crypts can you?

No, you can go right up to them but not in them. You can see in a couple of them though.

I'm now leaning toward heading to Charlotte... I don't know... or staying home and working on the book.... North Carolina is boring me at the moment... (oddly enough.)

There is a lot in Charlotte I'd like to see, too.
April 26th, 2009, 4:53 pm
Nfidel

Nfidel wrote:There is a lot in Charlotte I'd like to see, too.

Less I'd like to see, and more I'd like to eat... which in fact may be a reason to vote for staying home and jogging.
April 26th, 2009, 5:43 pm
Liv

Follow Me
Liv wrote:Less I'd like to see, and more I'd like to eat...

Are we still talking about crypts?
Obviously you do not know what a hyperbolic chamber actually is. That's ok. I'm used to you pretending to know what you are talking about BecauseHeLives, 2009 August 16
April 26th, 2009, 7:53 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:
Liv wrote:Less I'd like to see, and more I'd like to eat...

Are we still talking about crypts?

:scared-ghostface:
April 26th, 2009, 7:57 pm
Nfidel

So you are saing tht you knew the women who owns payne's diary and if so is there any way that we could see it and read it. Me and and my frineds go out there all the time. We take pictures and walk around trying to find something. We have seen some things but nothing really convincing. For some reason i am convinced tht there is something out there. And i would really like to find out just what is there. I would like to kno more about these dark arts that were practiced there.
May 4th, 2009, 10:06 pm
augie

I swear this thread is haunting.... okay... I'm back on...

Someone post coordinates for this freaking place so I can GPS it....
May 5th, 2009, 7:25 am
Liv

Follow Me
Not positive, but this might be it...

36.27151, -80.28173

Just east of rt 66 between Rural Hall and Poplar Springs
The purpose of life is to fight maturity.

Dick Werthimer
May 5th, 2009, 9:07 am
eddiebuckle

According to Google maps, that's here:

PayneRd.jpg

I see nothing unusual there...
May 5th, 2009, 11:04 am
A Person

Return to X