New "World's Tallest Building" opens

by
Published on January 4th, 2010, 1:20 pm
Rift: News

Dubai has opened the world's tallest building. About twice as tall as the Empire State Building, it does seem to be an engineering feat to marvel at. But of course, the question has to be asked, what do you do with something like that once you have it?

The top 1/3 of the tower is so narrow, it barely has room for the elevators, let alone office space. They might be able to put a bunch of network servers up there, or some other stuff that needs to sit silently with no human interaction, but what good would that do? The building was obviously built just for prestige. I suppose they have it, at least for now. But this and so many other "prestige" projects have put this postage-stamp country billions of dollars into debt. Maybe they can eat the mortgage papers if they ever get back to even...
January 4th, 2010, 1:20 pm

Install a door, charge admission, and advertise on the skydiving forums. Duh!
May the fetus you save be gay.
January 4th, 2010, 5:46 pm
Liv

Follow Me
SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:They might be able to put a bunch of network servers up there,
Servers don't like the oscillations at the top of high rise buildings. The accelerations play hell with the disk drives
Religion is regarded by the common people as true; by the wise as false, and by politicians as useful." Lucius Annaeus Seneca 4 BCE - 65CE
January 4th, 2010, 7:08 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:
SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:They might be able to put a bunch of network servers up there,
Servers don't like the oscillations at the top of high rise buildings. The accelerations play hell with the disk drives

Gold bars and sky-diving schools then. Fun. :dance:
January 4th, 2010, 7:31 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
May the fetus you save be gay.
January 5th, 2010, 6:59 pm
Liv

Follow Me

Return to News