Kathe Martin: Greensboro Psychic or Fraud?

by
Published on July 2nd, 2008, 5:42 pm
Rift: X

[utube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/goV-IoSGq44&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/goV-IoSGq44&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/utube]

Do you believe in UFOs, astral projections, mental telepathy, ESP, clairvoyance, spirit photography, telekinetic movement, full trance mediums, the Loch Ness monster and the theory of Atlantis?

Kathe Martin a local resident, is Greensboro's local renowned psychic medium who speaks to dead people.

Insert: "I see dead people..." quote.

From her website:

Kathe... ...remained skeptical of the channeling concept until one night in 1993... The reading started out normally. When the subject of the woman's boyfriend came up in the cards she began to feel a sensation above her head as if something was hovering 6 - 8 inches above it. She tried to wave it away, the way one would swoosh away a persistent fly. Quickly she became aware that it was the deceased boyfriend and he wanted to communicate.

Seriously... If people can make a living doing this, why can't me and Sanjuro open a Ghostbusters?
William Killick: You have a raindrop running down your cheek, just like a tear.
July 2nd, 2008, 5:42 pm

I can't say for sure this is cow droppings, but I know that no psychic so far has proven they have powers. Of course, true believers never want proof, and the bull shoot artist who practice their "arts" will tell you that you can't give a good reading if the readee doesn't believe. Anyone hanging a shingle stating they are a psychic, palm reader, faith healer or chiropractor should have to make a definite claim about their powers and then be made to prove them. The same goes for alternative medicine and dietary supplements.
July 2nd, 2008, 8:07 pm
Nfidel

Nfidel wrote:I can't say for sure this is cow droppings, but I know that no psychic so far has proven they have powers. Of course, true believers never want proof, and the bull shoot artist who practice their "arts" will tell you that you can't give a good reading if the readee doesn't believe. Anyone hanging a shingle stating they are a psychic, palm reader, faith healer or chiropractor should have to make a definite claim about their powers and then be made to prove them. The same goes for alternative medicine and dietary supplements.

Not to mention you have to assume there's some sort of after-life in the first place. And if I have to respond on demand to every nut-job with a Ouija board you can keep it, too.
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. -- Albert Camus

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
-- John Steinbeck
July 2nd, 2008, 11:01 pm
The Rain King

Liv wrote:Seriously... If people can make a living doing this, why can't me and Sanjuro open a Ghostbusters?

Because he's a total wimp and he'd run screaming if he ever actually saw a ghost ? :P
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. -- Albert Camus

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
-- John Steinbeck
July 2nd, 2008, 11:05 pm
The Rain King

The Rain King wrote:Not to mention you have to assume there's some sort of after-life in the first place. And if I have to respond on demand to every nut-job with a Ouija board you can keep it, too.

Not necessarily. It could be a phenomenon of science we're mistaking as the afterlife. A parrell univerise, etc...
July 3rd, 2008, 6:50 am
Liv

Follow Me
Liv wrote:
The Rain King wrote:Not to mention you have to assume there's some sort of after-life in the first place. And if I have to respond on demand to every nut-job with a Ouija board you can keep it, too.

Not necessarily. It could be a phenomenon of science we're mistaking as the afterlife. A parrell univerise, etc...

Problem with that is... there would be some evidence of it beyond double exposed photos and people who don't know how to properly use a Gauss meter.

I've been on so-called "ghost hunts" and so far I declare it all "Bullsheet" (although admittedly a lot of fun).
John Cleese: The audience is too uninformed. I blame the Americans. Nation of obese, violent, pig-ignorant, bible-thumping morons contaminating world culture. That’s why I spend most of my time here in France.. Beautiful isn’t it? Just look at those olive trees.

Interviewer: This is Santa Barbara.
July 3rd, 2008, 7:04 am
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

The Rain King wrote:
Liv wrote:Seriously... If people can make a living doing this, why can't me and Sanjuro open a Ghostbusters?

Because he's a total wimp and he'd run screaming if he ever actually saw a ghost ? :P

Hey, I used to have my own proton pack and everything. :(
John Cleese: The audience is too uninformed. I blame the Americans. Nation of obese, violent, pig-ignorant, bible-thumping morons contaminating world culture. That’s why I spend most of my time here in France.. Beautiful isn’t it? Just look at those olive trees.

July 3rd, 2008, 7:05 am
Sanjuro

Sadly so did I... When I was 12.
July 3rd, 2008, 9:13 am
Liv

Follow Me
Liv wrote:Sadly so did I... When I was 12.

Ooohh... the hate...

July 3rd, 2008, 10:25 am
Sanjuro

Sanjuro wrote:
Liv wrote:

Problem with that is... there would be some evidence of it beyond double exposed photos and people who don't know how to properly use a Gauss meter.
I've been on so-called "ghost hunts" and so far I declare it all "Bullsheet" (although admittedly a lot of fun).

Got to agree. In all of recorded history, there's not one iota of concrete evidence for ghosts. Or an after-life, for that matter. The part that pisses me off is when these quacks take advantage of people by claiming to put them in contact with their dead relatives. The pillory should've been retained for these people.

Saw recently where the James Randi Foundation finally withdrew their offer of a million dollars to anyone who could demonstrate evidence of the paranormal through scientifc methodology after 25 years (?) of no takers. Randi moreorless said it was obvious after all this time no one could claim it and apparently they needed the funding elsewhere.

-- John Steinbeck
July 3rd, 2008, 10:44 am
The Rain King

So is someone such as this (unless there's a disclaimer that it's entertainment) basically commiting fraud in the eyes of the law?
July 3rd, 2008, 11:18 am
Liv

Follow Me
Liv wrote:So is someone such as this (unless there's a disclaimer that it's entertainment) basically commiting fraud in the eyes of the law?

I think it depends on the nature of their claim. Not sure of the specifics. I've noticed all those TV ads for telephone psychis have largely disappeared since "Miss Cleo" got herself busted. But I think credit card fraud was her downfall. I may be wrong.

-- John Steinbeck
July 3rd, 2008, 12:06 pm
The Rain King

Liv wrote:So is someone such as this (unless there's a disclaimer that it's entertainment) basically commiting fraud in the eyes of the law?

Most of the time there IS a disclaimer.. especially in the dial a psychic ads. However I dont think anyone can claim they are committing fraud any more than they can claim fraud against evangelicals that ask for money and claim god will reward the ones who "donate".

July 3rd, 2008, 12:14 pm
Sanjuro

Sanjuro wrote:

Most of the time there IS a disclaimer.. especially in the dial a psychic ads. However I dont think anyone can claim they are committing fraud any more than they can claim fraud against evangelicals that ask for money and claim god will reward the ones who "donate".

Yeah, but there again, all they're claiming is that God will "bless" you in some fashion. That could, of course, be open to widely varying interpretations. I wonder, in this economy, if God is eventaully going to need more than his customary ten per cent ?

-- John Steinbeck
July 3rd, 2008, 12:24 pm
The Rain King

Everything that's visible hides something else that is visible.

We see the world as something outside ourselves, when, actually, we have only the imprint of it in our heads.

Thrust from the earth toward the sun, a tree is an image standing for a kind of joy. To comprehend that image we must be quite still, like that tree. When we move, it is the tree that becomes the spectator.

In the forms of chairs, a table or a door the tree continues to keep watch over the agitated spectacle that is our life. Later, when the tree has become a coffin, it disappears into the ground again. And when it is consumed by flames, it vanishes into the air.
July 3rd, 2008, 6:27 pm
Liv

Follow Me
Liv wrote:
Everything that's visible hides something else that is visible.
We see the world as something outside ourselves, when, actually, we have only the imprint of it in our heads.
Thrust from the earth toward the sun, a tree is an image standing for a kind of joy. To comprehend that image we must be quite still, like that tree. When we move, it is the tree that becomes the spectator.
In the forms of chairs, a table or a door the tree continues to keep watch over the agitated spectacle that is our life. Later, when the tree has become a coffin, it disappears into the ground again. And when it is consumed by flames, it vanishes into the air.

Forgive me, but ... huh? I must've missed something.

-- John Steinbeck
July 3rd, 2008, 10:08 pm
The Rain King

Return to X