Microsoft's phone woes

by
Published on November 19th, 2009, 1:14 pm
Rift: News

I saw this article about why Microsoft, while being pretty much the first player in the world of "smartphones" is now far behind the rest of the market and losing ground rapidly.

What I find most interesting about this is the reversal of roles between Apple and Microsoft. In the early 80's Apple stunned the world with a GUI computer, in the first Macintosh -- then proceeded to whiz their opportunity away by marketing it exclusively as a business/education ONLY machine. Microsoft responded with Windows, and worked diligently to put its product into every home that could possibly afford a VCR.

Now, Microsoft has developed a cell phone technology that could be as innovative as the Macs were in the 80's, but they aimed it almost exclusively at businesses, not the average cell phone user. Apple developed their iPhone as a product that everyone would potentially enjoy. And they have managed to build on their concept with several features that people find attractive in a little gizmo that they carry around. Including a huge collection of games, many of which are free.

I guess in this technology game, nothing is ever completely over. Unless you're Commodore. :mrgreen:
November 19th, 2009, 1:14 pm

My last smartphone ran the MS mobile app and it SUCKED.

Now I have a Motorola Droid, and I honestly think its the coolest phone ever made. :dance:
John Cleese: The audience is too uninformed. I blame the Americans. Nation of obese, violent, pig-ignorant, bible-thumping morons contaminating world culture. That’s why I spend most of my time here in France.. Beautiful isn’t it? Just look at those olive trees.

Interviewer: This is Santa Barbara.
November 19th, 2009, 1:42 pm
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

You got a droid????

Really???

It's about time for me to upgrade.... unfortunately I think I'm sticking too prepaid though.... Contracts scare me.
William Killick: You have a raindrop running down your cheek, just like a tear.
November 19th, 2009, 3:37 pm
Liv

Follow Me
Sanjuro wrote:My last smartphone ran the MS mobile app and it SUCKED.

Now I have a Motorola Droid, and I honestly think its the coolest phone ever made. :dance:

Hm. Droid eh? Sounds like fun. Companies sure are keen on upping the "cool" quotient on phones these days. "Need for sales is the mother of invention"?
:twisted:
November 19th, 2009, 3:56 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:

Hm. Droid eh? Sounds like fun. Companies sure are keen on upping the "cool" quotient on phones these days. "Need for sales is the mother of invention"?

Don't be jealous my phone kicks you little iphone's tail. :P
John Cleese: The audience is too uninformed. I blame the Americans. Nation of obese, violent, pig-ignorant, bible-thumping morons contaminating world culture. That’s why I spend most of my time here in France.. Beautiful isn’t it? Just look at those olive trees.

November 19th, 2009, 5:28 pm
Sanjuro

No VoIP WiFi on the Droid yet. That's an essential option for me now
Obviously you do not know what a hyperbolic chamber actually is. That's ok. I'm used to you pretending to know what you are talking about BecauseHeLives, 2009 August 16
November 19th, 2009, 5:39 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:No VoIP WiFi on the Droid yet. That's an essential option for me now

Soon available from a couple of app providers.

November 19th, 2009, 5:48 pm
Sanjuro

It must suck to have to buy your own phones. :P
Ignore List: Nfidel; Pitbullferlucifer; C. Alice

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

"Why am I such a stupid atheist?" - C. Alice
November 19th, 2009, 10:51 pm
BecauseHeLives

Sanjuro wrote:
SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:

Don't be jealous my phone kicks you little iphone's tail. :P

If you get a chance you'll have to do a review for us... I'm really interested to see your opinion of it.
William Killick: You have a raindrop running down your cheek, just like a tear.
November 20th, 2009, 7:26 am
Liv

Follow Me
Sanjuro wrote:Don't be jealous my phone kicks you little iphone's tail. :P

IDC. I'll stick with my old-fashioned, scratched up iPhone, cause it works. :character-oldtimer:
November 20th, 2009, 7:42 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Return to News