·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Gay Funeral Protests, Fred Phelps & God Hates Fags

by Liv | Published on February 24th, 2006, 10:36 pm | Religion
I just finished watching the 10 o'clock Fox news, and was absolutely dumbfounded when they showed a group of idiot Christians protesting at a fallen soldiers funeral. Seriously, I've calmed down since watching it. This is the single stupidest thing I've ever seen. Why are they protesting? Because of homosexuality. Was the soldier gay? No. They are protesting because the guy fought for a country that supports homosexuality in their opinion. The segment showed protesters yelling to the family "Your son is going to Hell"

These people should be shot. These people should be tied down, gang raped by a San Francisco Zoo gorilla and then shot in the head by Elton John.

What is wrong with Christians today? Seriously. I know its not all of you, but you gay haters really need some therapy.

This was the single most disgusting thing I've ever heard out the God Mongers. The guy stood and fought for a country that sent him to death over oil and greed. He had nothing to do with furthering the gay movement in America, and you just pissed over his family's last memories. I hope to God someone shows up at your funeral and makes Gay love on your headstone. Seriously I hope people see this hate, and this horrid atrocity and run, run, run-away far from your religious cult.

I too saw this on the news and yet again this morning. I wanted to cram a big apple in that womens mouth who was speaking out. Maybe the apple would remind her about 9/11. Those protesters are to stupid to see who is giving them the freedom to speak out like that. And I never heard anything about this war being about homo-sexual rights before...You?

I was glad to see the motorcycle riders being there to stifle the so-called Christian protesters. They were being so un-Christian like in my opinion to be protesting at that families darkest hour.

God too has a place for so called Christians like that I guess...at the whipping post perhaps.
February 25th, 2006, 5:32 pm
Paul R

God doesnt approve of gays but he always said it is not our place to judge other ppl. thats his place. now, protesting at a funeral is the most disrespectful thing i have ever heard of a human doing!! that is crap as Liv said. its crazy to think about how inhumane a person can be...it sickens me to no end!!!
April 12th, 2006, 7:38 am
chrestien

God doesnt approve of gays

I will kindly disagree with this statement. It is your interpretation of the bible that leads you to believe God does not approve of gays. This does not necessarily mean your interpretation is correct, or that God doesn't approve of gays.
April 13th, 2006, 8:28 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Without being disastrously defensive, its still all a matter of opinion.

Some people include the laws of the old testament, some don't.

Alongside of the passages you've mentioned as well as others who are anti-gay are instructions to stone people, or to keep woman out of church during menstruation, there are rules against shell fish, and wearing tassels from your head. There are also rules for building fences on your rooftop. Depending on what you believe, and what parts of the Bible you adhere to, or ignore will ultimately decide if or if not you believe Jesus is against homosexuality. Then even if you include certain passages, (ie such as "man will not lay with man....") those are even up for debate. Most biblical scholars have even admitted that passage has less to do with homosexuality, and more to do with male prostitution that was common at the time.

Honestly I've given up trying to explain it long time ago. Its all on how you want to interpret it. As I've pointed out, there are several verses that actually insinuate Jesus had same-sex relations. I'm more inclined to believe that, then that God would create Gays, just to hate them.... but again that's just my opinion.
April 13th, 2006, 11:03 am
Liv

I don't believe in God. However I'm not so closed minded to say that if evidence ever existed to change my mind, I would do so. At this point in my life when I weigh all the information I've seen, its led me to believe no there is not a God. I am not a preacher of agnostics or Atheism though, and I'm just fine and dandy if you or anyone else believes in God, Allah, Buddha, or anything else. Most religions have good parts and bad parts. When I have a conflict of issues is when people try to interpret the moral character of someone based on an isolated passage of the bible.

I'm okay with saying, "Matt's Christian, and he thinks gay is not OK." That's your opinion, and as long as you let that guide your life. Swell, go for it. But when someone says "I'm christian, and your gay, so your a heathen.", I feel that's wrong. It's not God judging that gay person, its that christian. He or She is trying to impose their interpretation of the Bible on someone else. If God him or herself came down from heaven above, sat here in my living room and said "Liv, Gay people suck." then hey I'd believe it, but unfortunately all we have to go on is a 2000 year old collection of writings that have been handed down, edited, and translated numerous times, and are vague in their most direct intentions. Even the different books in the bible give conflicting accounts of the same stories. You cannot tell me that this person who says gays are bad is without a doubt 100% correct. All you can say, is this is how me and my religious beliefs interpret the bible, and this is how I choose to lead my life, and I'm okay with that.

For the Jesus is gay post (which you posted on before) it's right here:

Jesus is Gay, Oh Yeah!
April 13th, 2006, 2:09 pm
Liv

Matt wrote:who said I was anti-gay?

I was just making a generalized example using your name, didn't mean to imply anything.

I'll have to look into the verse a little further, but your right, everything is left up to interpretation. (Also remember they're several different written versions of the bible.)

My uncle passed away last night, so we're leaving today for Ohio, or I'd find some more information on it. Google: Jesus is (was) gay and you should find many articles on it.

However just being aware of what time period it was, and that same sex relationships was more of a norm then it is today, I'd say its very possible that he might not have been gay but did have an occasional fling with the guys just to beat out hornyness.
April 14th, 2006, 7:48 am
Liv

Thanks. I know its something that's played heavily on my mind this week. They did a catholic funeral ceremony for him, and I made sure I said every Amen, and Lord Be with you. I hope there is an afterlife. Because it's really sad if there isn't. It's just been a really crappy week, and its really tough to bury a loved one, when you can't convince yourself there is something after this life.
April 18th, 2006, 1:36 pm
Liv

I did see that report, and I can honestly say that it's the only thing I've ever seen that's made me want to kill someone. I am a very peaceful, non-confrontational person and I believe violence should always be a last resort or no resort. But I think that woman needs to just die. OR get the frak out of this country. These people think it's OK to invade a family's life like this and tell them that their son is going to hell for protecting the very thing they're practicing. Disgusting. Just disgusting. It's those kinds of things that make me ashamed to be not only an American, but a human being.

I am no christian, I won't lie. But I have read the Bible. Nowhere did I read that being homosexual was enough to get you into hell. As a matter of fact, in an experiment conducted at a University in Oregon, some scientists studied male Rams that would not mount ewes. They would only mount other Rams. These males were attracted only to the pheramones that other males gave off, much like a human being. So if homosexuality is hereditary, as it's been theorized and has become more and more accpeted as truth, then why would God create something that would be damned from birth? It makes no sense.

I thought the Bible was a good story, but it was nothing more than that to me. Just a story. Had a few good lessons in there. A few bad ones. But too many people take it too literally and follow it as a rule book rather than a guidebook. And these ignorant, ungrateful, disgusting human beings further my resentment toward our own species even more.

One time I had a christian woman wearing a rosary approach me and ask me if I had embraced Jesus as my savior. I calmly and plainly told her that I renounced my Christianity, but truly have every respect for the religion and one's freedom to practice whichever religion one chooses to follow. She frowned at me, handed me a brochure and told me, "In the first commandment, our Lord the savior said, 'You shall have no other gods before Me.' I will pray for you. Repent and perhaps you will be saved."
Before she had a chance to walk away, I told her, "I don't need you to pray for me. And I definately don't need you to recite the commandments to me," and handed her back the brochure.
April 26th, 2006, 1:07 am
Tybalt

But I have read the Bible. Nowhere did I read that being homosexual was enough to get you into hell.

Thank you lord! Finally someone agrees with me on this.
April 26th, 2006, 7:08 am
Liv

Fred Phelps and his group is a primitive Baptist church I believe in Kansas. According to some reports he is a liberal. I have no way of proving it but have seen rumors.

I have also heard rumors he has five or six kids and all of them are lawyers. If they are confronted by anyone at the funerals, they bring up charges against whoever confronted them.

Here is the website

http://www.godhatesfags.com/main/index.html

The first thing you notice is the un-mistakable upside down American flag. You will also see many things that God-fearing Christians like myself despise.

His bit is not an act out of ignorance!
April 26th, 2006, 8:36 pm
JQPublic

If that guy is a liberal, then I'm a freaking nun... Bottom line, I won't even throw this nut into the conservatives label, because they don't even deserve this wack-job. This is someone who should litterally, (and I don't say this lightly) disapear, only to show up 50 years from now in the psychiatric ward.
April 27th, 2006, 8:10 am
Liv

Anonymous wrote:
Matt wrote:I didn't see this. Can you elaborate or find a link?

Was this local?

Fox News Video of Protest

Ok and I want to say that this is NOT my opinion. It's just a shocking (IN MY OPINION) airing of just a really, really sick minority who interpreted something in her/their own way and is likely not the way that it's meant to be interpreted.
May 2nd, 2006, 1:00 pm

I've talked to people about protesting the church and advised against it. Thats not the way. Someone needs to go to one of their services and beat down their hate with the scriptures....record all of it, then give it to the press.

What ticks me off the most about these guys is that they are so lawsuit happy. They abuse my religion, and they abuse our law system.
May 2nd, 2006, 3:09 pm
JQPublic

Liv wrote:If that guy is a liberal, then I'm a freaking nun... Bottom line, I won't even throw this nut into the conservatives label, because they don't even deserve this wack-job. This is someone who should litterally, (and I don't say this lightly) disapear, only to show up 50 years from now in the psychiatric ward.

Even if he was a stauch Conservative, it would be to much for me to accept. Heres some proof-

The grandchildren are perhaps less demonstrative than most children, but in an earlier day that was called well-behaved. Many of their parents hold or have held important jobs in local and state agencies. The pastor's first-born, Fred, Jr., and his wife, Betty, were guests at the Clinton inauguration. The former northeast Kansas campaign manager for Al Gore in 1988 has a stack of VIP photos, such as the one of him, Betty, Al and Tipper, and even soon-to- be Kansas governor Joan Finney smiling and yucking it up at the Phelps' place just a few years ago.

http://www.baptistwatch.org/content/expose2.html
May 3rd, 2006, 7:27 pm
JQPublic

I am extremely disheartened by all of your conversations. I was attempting to watch this broadcast and came accross these blogs to find opinions with no actual facts to back them up. You all are not Christians, you haven't read the Bible, and you claim the Jesus is gay, Christianity is a cult, and that christians are practically evil because they protest their beliefs. The world won't listen and refuses to be held accountable for their actions. HOMOSEXUALITY IS WRONG, and these people ahve gone to an extreme to show that. It got you talking didn't it?

Let me tell you something from a Christian's perspective. Jesus wasn't gay, there is no passage in the Bible claiming he was. Christians sin; all people sin, that doesn't make us perfect, which means we make mistakes. Homosexuality is a sin. The passages that were presented in earlier conversation correlate with that statement. And whether you are Catholic or not, homosexuality is still wrong. The Bible says it is wrong, and what it says is not just guidelines, it is words from GOD. Our religion is not a cult, it is the truth, and its your decision not to follow it. There is an afterlife, and its called heaven or hell. You must have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, admit you are a sinner, believe he is God over all things, and commit your life to Him. If you don't, then when you die you go to hell and burn in the firey pit. Its all in the Bible, and I highly reccommend you read it. Because let me tell you, God is awesome and he does wonders in your life. If you choose not to believe, I am sorry for you, because you'll never experience anything like it.
May 4th, 2006, 12:07 pm
Shannon

Okay....

Shannon, whens the last time you read the bible?

And I mean front to back in one sitting?
May 4th, 2006, 1:10 pm
Liv

You know, I was at work yesterday when this was posted, in the middle of a busy 12 hour day, and I couldn't really respond the way I normally would. But truthfully, I doubt I could respond with anything to make you happy Shannon. Bottom line is this, believe what you want to believe... live your life how you feel right, but if the issue doesn't effect you. (ie- your not gay, your husband is not gay, etc...) then it's probably not very Christian like, or intelligent sounding to make judgements or tell people how to live their lives. Now that being said, let me say this. This issue has nothing to do with Gay people. These soldiers are not gay, and probably half of them would have the same moral beliefs you did before they went off and died in a war. Now I'm not in any way a supporter of this war, and other then the short time we all thought Saddam was going to chemically attack us, but these men and women fought for our country, they fought for our lives, our children, and what they thought was a just cause. I doubt very seriously that even the gay soldiers fighting thought, "I'm fighting for Gay America"

So Fred Phelps is an ass. Yes he's got us talking, but anyone with 2 cents, realizes we're not talking about Gays, we're talking about you asinine right-wing Nazi Christians that give those other people who rightful deserve to be called followers of the faith a bad name. And that's coming from an agnostic.
Yes Shannon, that's right, I can respect people from different religions, and moral beliefs, but I don't try to govern them with mine.
May 5th, 2006, 8:24 am
Liv

i'm a pastor....27 years.....
i do believe that the act of homosexuality is condemned in the bible. but, if we take the understanding that god loves us then there must be a reason for its prohibition that is non'punitive. god created us and knows the potential destruction of our own bodies, our emotions and our minds through the act. it leaves deep emotional scars. he lovingly calls us to live a life that sounds narrow, but produces true "life".

regarding those protestors in kansas...the bible says, "you will know they are christians by there love." these acts of protest are not indicative of the spirit of love as listed in the bible nor are they of the spirit of christ. mercy triumphs over judgement...(James 2:13) i would question the autheticity of these christians.

to any gays reading this...jesus loves you...he calls you to understand what it is to be a true son or daughter. look to him...not the church....maybe somewhere there is a church that shows his love...i hope so....but find him...and in him you will find a love that undoes you and reveals your true significance on this planet...set apart for him.
call out to him.

there are a number of chistians that love gays, yet truly believe that they are chosing a path the takes them farther from god. we can stil love, yet fear for peoples eternal destiny. families continue to love regardless of personal views. so do we. we will not judge you, in this case, that's god's job. please don't judge us for a few lunatics in kansas.

grace and peace to you...may you encounter the true father...one that loves you and draws you close.
May 5th, 2006, 10:26 am
ohiobound

Matt wrote:Shannon,

I will admit, I have not read the Bible in it's entirety. But it is something I wish to do. I'm currently debating which "version" to read as there are a couple to choose from.

try the message bible...its contemporary...you'll like it.

However, you come into the forum with your moon-eyed faith. You chastise the posters here and proclaim we will burn in eternal flames. Now I said I have not read the entire Bible, but I did attend Catholic private school which means I went to church and had study of the religion 6 days week for 9 years. In all that time and in the times after that, no where have I read where it is anyone's place but God himself to judge others.

So I question which version of the Bible you're reading or what your preacher/minister is telling you.

Cause here's my belief: It's a sin to go through life, feeling superior to others and condemning them to hell. So perhaps your words should be that of encouragement and support.

Or perhaps you should just close your freakin pie-hole, and lay off the e-crusades.
May 6th, 2006, 9:09 pm

Anonymous wrote:
Matt wrote:Shannon,

I will admit, I have not read the Bible in it's entirety. But it is something I wish to do. I'm currently debating which "version" to read as there are a couple to choose from.

try the message bible...its contemporary...you'll like it.

However, you come into the forum with your moon-eyed faith. You chastise the posters here and proclaim we will burn in eternal flames. Now I said I have not read the entire Bible, but I did attend Catholic private school which means I went to church and had study of the religion 6 days week for 9 years. In all that time and in the times after that, no where have I read where it is anyone's place but God himself to judge others.

So I question which version of the Bible you're reading or what your preacher/minister is telling you.

Cause here's my belief: It's a sin to go through life, feeling superior to others and condemning them to hell. So perhaps your words should be that of encouragement and support.

Or perhaps you should just close your freakin pie-hole, and lay off the e-crusades.

Why don't you try READING it to see what it says instead of throwing out your hatred. :roll:
May 8th, 2006, 1:22 pm
JQPublic

The Hispanic masses flooding our country constitute another facet of God's irreversible curse upon this Land of the Sodomite Damned - and our morally bankrupt leaders are bereft of wisdom to cope with the devastating problem. ... Among other inexterminable plagues from the Mexican invaders - such as skyrocketing immigrant crime, health-care and education costs threatening national economic implosion - comes now ineradicable disease epidemics: TB, Chagas disease, Leprosy, Denver fever, polio, and hepatitis. ... -Originally Posted by Fred Phelps

From his website (which I refuse to link to.)

Do I care to comment on this? I'll revert to my previous comments on Fred Phelps.
May 22nd, 2006, 6:48 pm
Liv

Fred Phelps decidedly needs more than one day to do his holy work in the bible belt. So for 2 days the original proof mental illness is alive and well at the Westboro Baptist Church will come to Greensboro.

What are they so upset about? The southern Baptist convention. (Aren't they Baptists?) Yes. (I don't get it.)
Me either. From what I gather, Billy Graham is evil, and Phelp's web designer hasn't learned to use the <TITLE> tag.

I will give him this, Fred is one persistent asshole.
On the other hand Greensboro's Matt Hill Comer has already challenged the guy to a duel.
"You know… I dare the guy to come to Hickory. I dare him to come to Winston, to Raleigh, Charlotte and Durham. Come on Phelps."
If that doesn't work out, maybe we can get them to mud wrestle.

June 13th, 2006 5:45 PM - 6:30 PM Greensboro Coliseum 1921 W. Lee Street This picket is to warn the Southern Baptist Convention that they are in deep trouble with the Lord their God! He set his standard in the earth and he expects his creatures to OBEY HIS STANDARD! These freaks, having rejected the righteousness of their God have set about the establish their own righteousness! THEY HAVE NO RIGHETOUSNESS!! They are the very picture of Jeremiah 23 - littering the landscape with lying false prophets!! They are the very picture of this: Eze. 13:22 Because with lies ye have made the heart of the righteous sad, whom I have not made sad; and strengthened the hands of the wicked, that he should not return from his wicked way, by promising him life: Well - congratulations you creeps! You have turned this country over to the fags and now your sons and daughters are coming home from that war in body bags! YOU are responsible for this!! YOU did this!! And worse is yet to come! You would have done better to have stayed home and kept your mouth shut!! But you have enabled a filthy manner of life from this nation and you do that by telling the big lie that God loves everyone!! America is DOOMED and YOU DID THAT!!

June 14th, 2006 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM Greensboro Coliseum 1921 W Lee Street Another picket for the Whorehouse called the Southern Baptist Convention. Some more words about their whoredoms! They are the picture of this: Jer 5:31 The prophets prophesy falsely, and the priests bear rule by their means; and my people love to have it so: and what will ye do in the end thereof? What indeed will you do in the end thereof? You are looking at the year of the visitation of America! The wrath of God is pouring out upon your heads! Because when your God called, you would not answer, when your God called, you would NOT answer. He sent his messengers, rising early and protesting against your lies.

June 14th, 2006 5:00 PM - 6:00 PM Greensboro Coliseum 1921 W. Lee Street A special picket for the Southern Baptist Dog Kennel/Leper Colony. At this particular time in their gruesome history, these freaks are going to set up an idol on the plains of North Carolina. It is a statue of Lying False Prophet (read Pastor Madam and think - Send Money!) Billy Graham. The glory you idiots belongs to the Lord your God and his name is Jealous! He will not give his glory to another! He will not accept your sacrifices because you draw nigh unto him with your lips, but your greedy, filthy, whoring hearts are far from him! He sees your lewdness and he sees how, like fat, lazy horses, you spend your days neighing after your neighbor's wife! You freaks should not forget the story of Nebuchadnezzar setting up the idol on the plains of Shinar - but alas - you didn't learn that lesson! God hates your solemn feasts and he will not smell in your solemn Assemblies! Get a clue! God is witness between you and your wife against whom you have dealt treacherously! You can't divorce and remarry and pretend that is not adultery!!! SHUT UP!! You unrepentant adulterers are headed STRAIGHT TO HELL!! And because you did this before the face of this nation and because you did it in the name of your God, his wrath is pouring out on you! Can you say whirlwind (think Katrina, Rita, Tornadoes, Tsunami, etc. - all those "natural" disasters that you attribute to your goddess Mother Nature - thus robbing God of his glory and making him furious! READ Ezekiel 16 you dolts - substitute America every place that says Judah or Jerusalem - THEN you will get it - then you will understand that America is Doomed!!!
June 1st, 2006, 10:19 am
Liv

I was less than impressed when I got home tonight and transferred the Fred Phelps pictures off the digital camera. Apparently there was some divine intervention that prevented my digital camera from capturing any of the close up images. I will admit I was in a hurry, trying to battle SBC traffic and snapping pictures of the Fred Phelps Protest.

I must say I honestly didn't think they'd show. I mean it was raining after all. But his crew of religious crazies was out and proud chanting the rant of the anti-homosexual, the anti Billy Graham, and anything else they can think of.

Oh the car? It was parked across the street and I had to take a shot of it... Don't know if it's Fred's or not, but it sure is obnoxious.

June 14th, 2006, 7:46 pm
Liv

The other day the Phelps clan descended upon Greensboro in an unprecedented 3 day protest against the Southern Baptist Convention and their ultra left wing liberal belief that while Gays are Bad, they are still loved.

Watch and be shocked and awed as the city of Greensboro become ground zero for bigotry and hypocrisy in the form of Christianity.

Part II
Part III
June 16th, 2006, 12:02 pm
Liv

Return to Religion