Muscle Cars - This is just un-American and Sacrilegious

by
Published on February 25th, 2008, 10:22 pm
Rift: Sports

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/articles ... 0964.shtml

Legislation Goes Up Against Muscle Cars

As the deadline for gas friendly vehicles looms in the future, many states are taking the opportunity to pass legislation against muscle cars such as the Ford Mustang. It is bad enough that the V8 engine may be virtually outlawed thanks to new regulations, but states are also working to discourage drivers from keeping their existing muscle cars on the road.

Several states are considering passing high tax surcharges on vehicles that do not meet the upcoming standards for pollution levels. Even if you have an efficient V8, you may still end up getting penalized for it. Some states are planning a $2500 tax that will be in addition to any extra taxes passed at the Federal level. This could mean disaster for many muscle car owners who simply cannot afford to swallow that high of a penalty.

Hawaii recently announced that they are working on legislation that will feature a progressive sliding fee schedule that will be directly related to the size of a car’s engine. The more power you have under your hood, the more you can expect to pay the state if you want to keep driving it. Not only would fees be payable when you purchase the car, but they would also be due when you relicense it each year. This could quickly add up for many car owners.

The planned increases will be in addition to the federally mandated fees that are due upon registration. If your engine is greater than 200 cu CM, you can expect to get hit with this fee if you live in Hawaii.

New York residents will also have something to complain about. Currently, the state legislation is working on a bill that would enforce a special surcharge on vehicles at the time of their purchase. The larger the engine, the more you will have to pay in order to purchase the vehicle of your choice. It is possible that vehicle owners would be required to fork over up to $2500 in additional fees under this program.

The state plans to use the funds that will be collected under the new program to help fund special discounts that will be given to those who decide to purchase “green” cars instead. This could be the final kicker for many who just can’t afford that extra surcharge tacked on to the purchase price of a vehicle.

Last but not least, is Washington State, where they are considering taxing by emissions. They plan to set up two different progressive fee scales for drivers of muscle cars, based on the size of their engines as well as the amount of emissions that the cars produce. Once again, the extra fees would be due when the car is purchased and then again when the license is renewed.

Experts estimate that this could mean an additional $600 in fees at the time of purchase and then another $600 per year every time the car is renewed. Smaller engines might even be taxed under this new plan. It is not clear if any of these states plan to make a distinction for truck engines.

Next they'll make us give up Nascar and college football...
Last edited by BecauseHeLives on February 26th, 2008, 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ignore List: Nfidel; Pitbullferlucifer; C. Alice

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

"Why am I such a stupid atheist?" - C. Alice
February 25th, 2008, 10:22 pm

It makes me miss my '67 Chevelle. If I still had it, I really be pitching a fit.
When it is not in our power to follow what is true, we ought to follow what is most probable. –Rene Descartes

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
February 25th, 2008, 10:40 pm
Serendipitous
This is my world and I am the world leader...pretend.

muslix_harvest_fruit.jpg
muslix_harvest_fruit.jpg (32.47 KiB) Viewed 3188 times
?
John Cleese: The audience is too uninformed. I blame the Americans. Nation of obese, violent, pig-ignorant, bible-thumping morons contaminating world culture. That’s why I spend most of my time here in France.. Beautiful isn’t it? Just look at those olive trees.

Interviewer: This is Santa Barbara.
February 25th, 2008, 10:58 pm
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

BecauseHeLives wrote:Even if you have an efficient V8, you may still end up getting penalized for it.

:mrgreen:

As distinct from those gas guzzling four bangers.

Actually basing the tax on power isn't the best option IMO. The only important measure is CO2 g/km.

Mussel Car
musselcar.JPG
Last edited by A Person on February 25th, 2008, 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Obviously you do not know what a hyperbolic chamber actually is. That's ok. I'm used to you pretending to know what you are talking about BecauseHeLives, 2009 August 16
February 25th, 2008, 11:36 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:
BecauseHeLives wrote:Even if you have an efficient V8, you may still end up getting penalized for it.

As distinct from those gas guzzling four bangers.

Actually basing the tax on power isn't the best option IMO. The only important measure is CO2 g/km.

The best way to tax it is to tax all of the rice-burners out there with Mack Truck tailpipes. :wink:

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

February 25th, 2008, 11:42 pm
BecauseHeLives

A Person wrote:Mussel Car
musselcar.JPG

ROFLMAO

I knew we could rely on you and Sanjuro to provide pics... and that BHL still hasn't corrected the misspelling in the subject! :mrgreen:
When it is not in our power to follow what is true, we ought to follow what is most probable. –Rene Descartes

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
February 25th, 2008, 11:58 pm
Serendipitous

Yeah, nothing personal, we all get in a hurry... it just doesn't make it any less damn funny. :wink:
John Cleese: The audience is too uninformed. I blame the Americans. Nation of obese, violent, pig-ignorant, bible-thumping morons contaminating world culture. That’s why I spend most of my time here in France.. Beautiful isn’t it? Just look at those olive trees.

February 26th, 2008, 12:08 am
Sanjuro

I know how you feel BHL, I had for a long time a mixed feeling about the whole green vs huge engine thing.... I mean, after all there is nothing like being strapped behind 300 or 400 horsepower, the sound of a roaring v8, the smell of 110 octane fuel dripping out of the tail-pipes, as you drop the hammer and get slammed back in the seat...

It's an unbelievable feeling....

But I think in lieu of saving the world, it's worth it....

And after learning about cars like the Tesla which would smoke most modern ICE sports cars, I'm not too sure what we're giving up, except nostalgia and a good exhaust note.
William Killick: You have a raindrop running down your cheek, just like a tear.
February 26th, 2008, 6:11 am
Liv

Follow Me
Serendipitous wrote:
A Person wrote:Mussel Car
musselcar.JPG

ROFLMAO

I knew we could rely on you and Sanjuro to provide pics... and that BHL still hasn't corrected the misspelling in the subject! :mrgreen:

I just NOW happened to see the mistake in my spelling. Ya know what's weird? When I was in middle school I was the school and county champion spelling bee and went to the state spelling bees twice. These darn computers have made my spelling horrible. I could spell just about anything without ever even studying the words. Now... well I have to rely on you folk for corrections. :)

February 26th, 2008, 8:10 am
BecauseHeLives

BecauseHeLives wrote:I just NOW happened to see the mistake in my spelling. Ya know what's weird? When I was in middle school I was the school and county champion spelling bee and went to the state spelling bees twice. These darn computers have made my spelling horrible. I could spell just about anything without ever even studying the words. Now... well I have to rely on you folk for corrections. :)

It's just typos. No big deal. But perhaps the spelling in your posting would improve if you returned to your roots, and use what you used when you were the spelling bee champ...

chalkslate.jpg
chalkslate.jpg (10.58 KiB) Viewed 2397 times

February 26th, 2008, 9:44 am
Serendipitous

Just bought the 2008 version of that. A Toshiba M700 tablet/convertible. It's my third tablet and I really like this one. It's got all the slots and a DVD drive, it's nice and light and the screen works with a finger or a pen.

The handwriting has got very good. Take a look of this. It even reads my crappy handwriting
Clipboard01.jpg
Obviously you do not know what a hyperbolic chamber actually is. That's ok. I'm used to you pretending to know what you are talking about BecauseHeLives, 2009 August 16
February 26th, 2008, 10:33 am
A Person

A Person wrote:Just bought the 2008 version of that. A Toshiba M700 tablet/convertible. It's my third tablet and I really like this one. It's got all the slots and a DVD drive, it's nice and light and the screen works with a finger or a pen.

The handwriting has got very good. Take a look of this. It even reads my crappy handwriting
Clipboard01.jpg

I can deduce by studying your handwriting that you are a conservative and long to be a Christian. 8)

February 26th, 2008, 10:37 am
Sanjuro

AP is still showin' off! First it was telescopes and eclipses...

February 26th, 2008, 10:56 am
Serendipitous

Tools of the Trade, just tools of the trade. If you approach a client with a tablet PC you spend half the time talking about how cool it is - and when you charge by the minute it pays for itself pretty quick. Tax deductible too.
February 26th, 2008, 11:30 am
A Person

A Person wrote:Tools of the Trade, just tools of the trade. If you approach a client with a tablet PC you spend half the time talking about how cool it is - and when you charge by the minute it pays for itself pretty quick. Tax deductible too.

I'm sure it's much better than drawing on restaurant napkins, huh?

February 26th, 2008, 12:53 pm
BecauseHeLives

Can you search a pile of 100 handwritten napkins for a particular word? Mind you it sucks at wiping spaghetti sauce from your chin.
February 26th, 2008, 1:28 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:Can you search a pile of 100 handwritten napkins for a particular word? Mind you it sucks at wiping spaghetti sauce from your chin.

Its kinda funny how many ideas are put on restaurant napkins during "business" lunches. I remember drawing up one of our company's security systems on a napkin 9 years ago. Its still in production too.... lol

February 26th, 2008, 2:09 pm
BecauseHeLives

A Person wrote:Just bought the 2008 version of that. A Toshiba M700 tablet/convertible. It's my third tablet and I really like this one. It's got all the slots and a DVD drive, it's nice and light and the screen works with a finger or a pen.

Clipboard01.jpg

Crappy is right. My seven year old writes neater than that. :roll:
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you "choose" to respond to it.

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote: If you believe things that are contradicted by the evidence, then you are on a path built on falsehoods.
February 26th, 2008, 2:13 pm
RebelSnake

At my school 'neat handwriting' from a teacher was about equivalent to 'nice personality" when a friend described your blind date.

Let's see now,
Ted Bundy, nice handwriting
HWrite-tedbundy.jpg

Albert Einstein, moderately neat handwriting
HWrite-einstein.gif
HWrite-einstein.gif (5.45 KiB) Viewed 2257 times

Charles Darwin, scrawl
HWrite-darwin.gif
HWrite-darwin.gif (2.84 KiB) Viewed 2240 times

And now the exception that proves the rule,
George Dubya
HWrite-GWBush.jpg
HWrite-GWBush.jpg (7.47 KiB) Viewed 2234 times
February 26th, 2008, 5:44 pm
A Person

Back to muscle cars...

I saw an episode of Lean Green Machines on Discovery channel about Roderick Wilde and his electric conversion 1971 Land Rover. (It beat out a V8 turbocharged diesel Rangew Rover)
Their site http://www.suckamps.com/index.php?page=build_team_vehicles lays to rest the idea that electric can't be fast or fun.
February 27th, 2008, 11:46 am
A Person

Really, when you get into the torque numbers, and that power band.... It's almost unthinkable to compare the power of electric vehicles to combustion vehicles...

I mean, Sure... Drive a Ford Mustang.... feel the acceleration... but I'm betting it's nothing like having only your direct horsepower, and torque instantly on the moment you hit the accelerator....

If you've ever rode Superman the ride at 6 flags, I'm sure you'd never question electric acceleration....
William Killick: You have a raindrop running down your cheek, just like a tear.
February 27th, 2008, 3:47 pm
Liv

Follow Me
Yeah that low rpm torque is something else. One reason why so many big mine trucks are electric or diesel electric
February 27th, 2008, 4:08 pm
A Person

Return to Sports